In 1646 Adriaen Van Der Donck bought the land from the Harlem River up to what is now the Yonkers-Hastings line. He was referred to as the young gentleman, die jonkeer (“j” is pronounced “y” in Dutch) and this land was referred to as die jonkheer’s. It was known as The Yonkers until it was officially designated a town in 1788. Yonkers was incorporated as a village in 1855. Kingsbridge was set off from Yonkers in 1872 when it became a city. Yonkers' strategic location along the Hudson River fostered its development into a major trading center and eventually the largest city in the county. Its early settlers (including Native Americans, English and Dutch) created a diverse community, a key element that continues today.

Documents, photographs and engineering drawings are exhibited on The Historic American Engineering Record of the Bronx River Parkway Reservation. A section of the parkway forms the city's entire eastern border.

Visit the City of Yonkers online

Incorporation Records of
St. John's Church,

Police Dept. Records:
Records of the Metropolitan Police District, Precinct 32, 1866-1867

Police Dept. Records:
William H. Crough
Employment Records, 1894-1900

Map of Shonnard Park at Yonkers,
ca. 1875

Photographs of Glenview,
Estate of John Trevor,
ca. 1885 and 1895

Records Relating to
the Hollywood Inn,
1897 and ca. 1910

Leake and Watts Services, Inc.
Photograph Album,

Records of Veterans from the Revolutionary War, War of 1812, Civil War, Spanish-American War and World War 1, and Cemetery Maps,
ca. 1930s


Records Relating to
the Sale of Alcohol,

Police Dept. Records:
Police Report,
Nov. 13, 1884

Police Dept. Records:
Photographs of Yonkers Police Department, 1895-1909

Otis Elevator Company's
Incorporation Records,

Records of the Palisade Boat Club,
1891 and 1920

Philipse-Robinson Family Tree,
ca. late 19th century

"Park Hill Homes,"