In 1883, the Federal government built a lighthouse in the Hudson River to warn ships against running aground on the dangerous shoals near Tarrytown. The lighthouse was known as the Tarrytown Lighthouse even though it was actually in Sleepy Hollow. When it became obsolete in 1961 because of the lights on the newly completed Tappan Zee bridge, it was purchased by Westchester County to be used as a Hudson River education center. When it was first built and into the 20th century, the lighthouse was usually accessed by boat. However, there were times in midwinter when the river froze enough for foot traffic and even automobile traffic. The black and white photo shows cars on the river in front of the lighthouse in 1912. The color photograph was taken at the turn of the 21st century.