Life Savers Building Photograph, ca. 1950
 Entire Record

Port Chester is known for its strong industrial past and, undoubtedly, the Life Savers Company stands out as one of the most important businesses in the village’s history. Established in 1920, the enterprise endured until 1985. For the entire history of its operation in Port Chester, it was housed in an attractive white and green building that was accentuated by giant Life Savers candy rolls, suspended at the base of the building’s façade. The aroma of candy flavors wafting through the air was a familiar sensation to the village residents for many years. At its peak, the plant employed 650 people. But, when hard candy sales sharply dropped, the company could no longer sustain its workforce. Life Savers’ operation in Port Chester closed in 1985, and the building was subsequently converted to condominiums.

This record is associated with:
Port Chester

Title Life Savers Building Photograph, ca. 1950 Format Photograph
Repository Port Chester Public Library Number of Pages 1
Collection Photographs Dimensions 6 7/8" x 9 3/8"
Call Number   Transcription NA
Creator Unknown jpeg File Name lifesavers.jpg
Creation Date ca. 1950 tif File Name lifesavers.tif

Historical Treasures Home | Communities | WCA | WCHS | Site Map
Virtual Archives Home
top of page