The Hudson River waterfront was the key to Hastings’ development. Early 19th-century sugar refineries (shown here is a lithograph of the Kattenhorn and Hopke sugar refinery in 1860) and stone quarry docks were replaced later in the century with plants that made asphalt paving blocks, pharmaceuticals and wire and cable.
Anaconda Wire & Cable Company, a company that manufactured products needed to deliver electricity to the new technologies transforming the United States in the early 20th century, came to Hastings in 1929. By 1960 it covered most of the waterfront. Shown here are a typical employee’s 1934 pay stub, a 1942 award for excellence received from the Navy production board, and a 1960s pamphlet depicting the company’s extensive facilities along the river. Anaconda left Hastings in 1975, and the site is currently being prepared for redevelopment. .