| Pelham Manor Protective Club
In the years after the Civil War, population in Westchester grew,
and with development came problems. Before it was incorporated in 1892,
the residents of the village of Pelham Manor founded the Pelham Manor
Protective Club as a means of working together for the good of their
community. Nearly the entire adult male population of the area–52 local residents–subscribed as members.
The purpose of the club was "to assist the public authorities
in maintaining law and order within a radius of one mile from
Pelham Manor Depot...." The club raised money to fund its work,
which included guarding against tramps, petty thieves, stray livestock
and other local problems. The pages shown here are the title page,
the articles of incorporation, and minutes from 1882 showing the
club's dealings with
Joseph and Edward Morgan, accused of housebreaking and other crimes.
The records of the club, which was disbanded once the village of Pelham
Manor was incorporated, provide documentation of the development of local governments in Westchester County.
This record is also associated with: