| Croton Aqueduct Souvenir,
The Croton Aqueduct was opened on October 14, 1842, marking the
completion of the monumental project of building the first Croton
Dam and Aqueduct to deliver water to New York City. Silk ribbons
with text outlining the efforts of the city to secure a safe public
water supply were sold to commemorate the occasion. The celebration
included a great parade, with church bells pealing and cannon salutes.
York City’s need for water changed the landscape of Westchester
County, with the forced sale of property for the project, despite
the protest of many Westchester landowners. It also brought large
numbers of Irish immigrants to the county, seeking work and a new
home for their families. The Croton system served the city until
the late 1800s, when a new dam and aqueduct became necessary.