The Irving Institute was a private boarding school for boys founded in North Tarrytown (now Sleepy Hollow) by William and Charles Lyons in 1837. In 1904 it was acquired by Dr. John Furman, who changed its name to the Irving School. The school was sold to the Public Schools of the Tarrytowns in 1955. Sleepy Hollow High School is located on the site of the former Irving School. This postcard gives a panoramic view of the campus in the early part of the 20th century.
The Irving Banner was a newspaper published monthly by the students at the Irving Institute. This first issue was published in November 1846. It is part of a bound volume that belonged to Ward Carpenter, a well-known Westchester surveyor and alumnus of the school.
The Irving School’s yearbook was known as the Sketch Book. These four pages from the 1925 yearbook show the faculty for that year, two graduating seniors with information about their activities and where they were going to college and a collage of pictures of the student body.