The manor of Scarsdale was established by Caleb Heathcote in 1701. Heathcote, who hailed from The Hundred of Scarsdale, Derbyshire, England, was granted the land in Westchester by the English crown. To protect it from being subsumed by neighboring communities, the Town of Scarsdale was incorporated as the Village of Scarsdale in 1916 with coterminous town and village boundaries.
Visit the Town/Village of Scarsdale online.
In addition to the records displayed here, documents, photographs and engineering drawings are exhibited on The Historic American Engineering Record of the Bronx River Parkway Reservation. A section of the parkway forms the village’s entire western border.